The Catcher in the Rye

The Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger So I read this back when I was a junior in high school and really my only reaction was "BUT WHAT IS THE POINT?" Now that I'm a freshman in college, and apparently much more mature (who knew?) I appreciate this book in an entirely new way, and I can now honestly say that I count it among my favorite classic works. Holden is a heartbreaking narrator who, while somewhat insane and infuriating, offers a legitimate look at the difficulties of growing up in a world that isn't nearly as pleasant as we would like it to be. The symbolism is extraordinary, but apparently deserving of a second read, because I would be lying if I said I connected with it the same way on my first read-through. Indeed, my biggest complaint from my first reading was that there was no "point" to the novel, and yet on my second reading the "point" became apparent on the very first page. I have no idea how I missed the idea of where Holden is telling his story from, or rather who he is telling it to, on my initial reading, but suffice it to say I get it now, and it adds so much more to this novel than I originally took away from it. All in all, this is, quite completely, the quintessential coming-of-age novel, and I highly recommend that everyone read it at least once...but maybe twice.

Rating: 5 stars