The Silkworm

The Silkworm - Robert Galbraith When I first found out that J.K. Rowling had come out with a mystery series, I was thrilled. Murder mysteries are some of my favorite things to read/watch, and J.K. Rowling is, by my standards, one of the best authors to ever live. It's a match made in literary heaven, and one I was excited to see in action. I loved The Cuckoo's Calling and was excited to see if The Silkworm would survive the sequel curse.

In short, The Silkworm survived and thrived. I was taken for a wild whirlwind ride of brutal bloody murder, psychotic killers, and shocking twists and turns. The relationship between Strike and his assistant Robin Ellacott is one I have come to adore, and I was happy to see that Robin got a lot of time front-and-center throughout this novel. Of course, the "whodunit" part of a murder mystery is always the most important part, and in The Silkworm I can honestly say that I was both surprised and pleased by the ending revelations.

My only complaint when it comes to the Cormoran Strike novels thus far is that they seem a bit formulaic. Of course, murder mysteries in general tend to be formulaic at least in the basics, but the Strike pattern of "get a case, begin investigating the case rather grudgingly, realize there is more to it than meets the eye, figure out who did it but don't tell anyone, reveal everything in one big burst at the end" is a bit overdone and rigid for my tastes. Still, it is a formula that works, keeping the reader guessing and on their toes until the very end, and to be fair, formulas in general seem to work for Rowling. After all, no one can claim that the Harry Potter series didn't follow a fairly specific formula (for all his faults, Voldemort did always wait until the end of the school year to attack Harry) and yet the series was not only blindingly successful but is quite possibly one of the best written children's book series of all time. So I forgive the formula, even as I wish there was a bit more deviation.

All in all, I really enjoyed The Silkworm , and I recommend it to anyone who is a fan of murder mysteries. And, of course, I can't wait to read whatever Queen Rowling comes up with next.