Divergent

Divergent - Veronica Roth I am ashamed at how long it took me to read this book. I have heard so much about the series for so long, and since I like to be informed on incredibly popular books (and also really enjoy YA) I have been trying to find the time to read Divergent for well over a year now. Even worse, I owned the book. It has literally been sitting in my closet, or before that in a moving box, for ages.

That said, I am SO GLAD I FINALLY READ THIS BOOK. I almost put it off AGAIN, because I started back at college and college is the enemy of downtime and for-fun reading, but I had a light week and decided to try and get through it and I AM SO GLAD I DID. I absolutely adore Tris. She's tough and brave and exciting and active and everything a heroine should be (and sadly very often isn't, in YA literature). I kept expecting her to be weak or to fold, as female lead characters (and actually, all lead characters) so often do, simply for the sake of added drama, but she stayed true to herself, even when things got ridiculously ridiculously RIDICULOUSLY hard on her. I don't want to have spoilers, but suffice it to say within the last few chapters, if I went through what Tris went through in that short a space of time (or really, ANY amount of time) I would have curled up into a little tiny ball and cried my eyes out, and I would have been totally understanding, if a bit annoyed as a reader, if Tris had done exactly that. But she DIDN'T. She kept going and going and even she barely understood how she was able to do that, but it made me love her all the more.

I also love Tobias. Full confession: I ALWAYS love the love interest. Try as I might to be critical of them, they are written so that we fall in love with them, and I always always do. Seriously, read my reviews of some other books (Cassandra Clare, for instance). I squeal over the hot mysterious sensitive guy every single time. This time is no different. But I also feel like this time the guy definitely deserves it too, so I'm not going to be too hard on myself.

The other thing I loved about this book: It's FAST. I look at a 487 page novel and I don't expect it to move at lightning speed and keep me interested the entire way through. It just doesn't seem possible. Veronica Roth proved me wrong. I have a bad habit of getting bored and flipping through pages to see if something exciting is coming next, and I didn't have to do that in this book because I was never bored (although I did flip forward a couple of times because I was so excited to see what was coming, but that is neither here nor there).

And finally, the last point I have: I really like dystopian literature. I didn't know I did, because I haven't read a ton of it, and I'll admit it can get a bit redundant and creepy and annoying, but I really do enjoy the way it makes me think about how things could be and should be and are, and Divergent does all of that incredibly well.

In short, if you are a YA fan, a dystopian fan, or even just a fan of reading really really popular things that are about to become movies, read Divergent. There's no excuse for you not to. And no excuse for you to leave it on a shelf for a year.