Jane Eyre

Jane Eyre - Michael Mason, Charlotte Brontë I read this as a "buddy read" with a friend of mine. It was her pick, but it was also something that had been on my to-read list for quite a while, so I was glad to finally have the chance to read it. Normally, I don't do very in-depth reviews for classics, because it's hard to review something that is obviously fairly great (or else wouldn't be a classic). My problems with this book (and there weren't many) are all things that are the fault of social and historical context, and could not truly be attributed to the author, who could only be logically asked to write about what she knew and understood in the time period in which she lived. Things like a nineteen year old marrying a forty year old or men being deemed masters over their wives or people proposing marriage to their cousins will always bother me a bit, but I can accept historical context enough to deal with it. That said, this particular novel is, in many ways, almost empowering and feminist for the time period in which it's set, so it was a fun read for someone like me who loves strong female characters.

If you're into the classics, it goes without saying that you should read this. If you like romances, you should read this. If you're not into classics...then get into classics because they're an important part of literature, and read this.