City of Lost Souls

City of Lost Souls - Cassandra Clare I dreaded reading this book. Seriously. I hated the way CoFA left off, and I thought this was going to be an absolute collection of things I hated. I'm so glad that I didn't let that stop me from reading it because boy was I wrong.

CoLS is everything I loved about the TMI series up to this point. Yes, a lot of it is depressing and annoying because of the plot line CoFA set up, but its also exciting and exhilarating and non-stop, and EMOTIONAL. I had serious feelings of sympathy and even brief moments of appreciation for a character so purely evil I never expected I would have anything but burning hatred for him. Clare's ability to give humanity to even the worst of the worst people is part of what makes her a brilliant author and the TMI series such a brilliant series. Her characterization skills were of the highest order for almost all of this book, with very few exceptions, and for that she deserves a massive bravo.

As for the plot, it was truly fascinating and exciting, and up till the last moment there were still several different ways things could have played out (and, in the fifth book of a series, it is incredibly hard to have a novel not be completely predictable, so this is a huge achievement). I absolutely love the way the main plotline (the Jace/Clary/Sebastian story) wound up, and I was really happy with the way most of the other subplots shaped up too. Some events near the end did make me very very very sad (I won't mention names because that would be spoilery, but let's just say a certain Shadowhunter does stupid things and certain warlock reacts in a totally logical way that nonetheless makes me very sad). Even the very very end of this book was a big surprise to me, and I really like the direction things seem to be heading for the final book.

All in all, I cannot WAIT for City of Heavenly Fire. If there is an official release date, I haven't seen it yet, but COMEONINEEDTOREADRELEASETHEBOOKALREADY. On the plus side, I have The Infernal Devices to start, which should tide me over for a while, not to mention that wonderful little City of Bones movie coming out in August, so my Shadowhunter withdrawals shouldn't get too bad...