Notorious RBG: The Life and Times of Ruth Bader Ginsburg

Notorious RBG: The Life and Times of Ruth Bader Ginsburg - Irin Carmon, Shana Knizhnik I had a difficult time deciding what rating to give this book. On the one hand, I try hard to reserve my five star reviews for books that are among my absolute favorites and for things that I would readily term literary masterpieces. Staring at the rating button for this book, debating which of the little line of stars I should highlight, I very nearly selected 4 stars instead of 5. In the end, however, I realized that this book actually is a new favorite, and, if I were trying to find critiques in order to justify a lower rating, I would have a very difficult time of it.

You see, while I might normally point out that parts of this book are incredibly lighthearted to the point of being downright silly, I can hardly call that a fault when it's an intentional and, indeed, vitally important, characteristic. Furthermore, I could note that this book is a wee bit biased in favor of decidedly liberal views and against certain decisions and persons, but considering it's a book which unabashedly declares its purpose as celebrating Ruth Bader Ginsburg, criticizing the authors for doing exactly that would be illogical. Even better, while it is clear where the authors' personal beliefs may lie, they do an exceedingly good job of exploring opposing arguments and providing background information for the various views or decisions they would likely argue against. Even their most partial discussions remain professional, cordial, and thoughtful, and I cannot praise this quality enough.

In the end, I have to say that I was completely drawn in by such an unapologetically over the top and, for lack of a more academic term, fun depiction of a woman who is, without doubt, one of the most incredible legal minds of our time (or our history). I would urge anyone with even the slightest interest in the Court and Justice Ginsburg to pick it up, and I am incredibly happy to have read it myself.