The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars - John Green Update: I reread this book because a) I love it and b) I wanted to see if my opinions changed at all on a second read. I can now unequivocally confirm that I still love this book and everything I said about it in my original review is one hundred percent accurate. I admit, this book is not perfect. I admit, I can see where critics are coming from. But the fact remains that this book does some incredible things, including addressing head on ideas about cancer and sickness that many would rush to sidestep or sugarcoat. I love it for that, and for a million more reasons. And I am so glad I took the time to fall in love with it all over again.

Original review: I genuinely believe this is my favorite book. Of course, if I'm being honest, my tastes change so often that I go through a lot of "favorites" but this is one that I will remember and appreciate for a long, long time to come. I may even reread it when I get a chance, which is the biggest compliment I can give to a book, because with the exception of the Harry Potter series, I tend to give books one read and that is it.

I am in love with everything about The Fault in Our Stars.

I love the characters, from Hazel to Augustus to Isaac to Hazel's parents, who are brilliant and real and heartbreaking and just the right amount of cynical to be realistic.

I love the plot, which doesn't fall prey to the obvious tropes or conventions of the Young Adult genre it comes from. I'm not going to lie and say I was totally caught off guard by the storyline, but I was captivated enough that I didn't need to be surprised.

I love the writing style, which is incredibly accessible but filled with some of the most beautiful, thought-provoking language I have ever read in a YA book, or any book, for that matter.

What I especially love is how John Green treated death, disease, and the concept of terminal illness. It's a serious set of topics, and he doesn't pretend it isn't by any means, but he also doesn't glorify these things or make them into something they aren't. He doesn't shy away from handling these concepts like what they are, instead of some socially accepted prepackaged message. For that, he is deserving of all the praise.

In short, I love everything about the novel as a whole, and I could go on for pages and pages about how perfect in every way this book is, but I don't think I could do it justice even if I talked about it forever, so I will stop here. But please, please, please read this book. Right now. You won't regret that you did.

Rating: An infinite number of stars. A big infinity, not a little infinity. (You'll understand that once you go read.)