Allegiant

Allegiant  - Veronica Roth This book. This freaking BOOK.

To be completely honest, the first half to three quarters of this book bored me a bit. It felt like it was building to something but at the same time even the characters didn't know what it was, and I didn't feel like there was any real guiding force moving the plot along. Things just happened, and then other things happened, and it felt very slow and disconnected. Additionally, the big reveals about what was really on the outside happened very early in the book, which was nice, but I wasn't entirely sold on the information I received. In fact, on the whole, I didn't like the plot and story of Allegiant even close to as much as I enjoyed Divergent and Insurgent, and I felt as though the information we received in Allegiant almost made the first two books irrelevant and silly, which I didn't enjoy. I am trying to do this review without blatant spoilers, so that is as much as I will say on the subject, but if you read the book you'll understand exactly what I mean here.

I WILL say, CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT. The characters in Insurgent frustrated me to no end, but the characters in Allegiant were spot on and perfect for the majority of the book, and I enjoyed every bit of that.

But then, on the subject of characters...the ending. I'm so TORN by the ending. On the one hand, it's far more realistic than YA books usually are, but on the other hand, I don't CARE if it was realistic, I WANTED A HAPPY ENDING AND I AM NOT OKAY. I just...I AM NOT OKAY. I kept thinking that something would happen to take back what had happened, and I just.....ALKDANKLDANAD. All of the feelings. ALL of the FEELINGS.

So, in the end, I don't have clear feelings on Allegiant. I gave it a five star rating because the themes that ran throughout and the emotion, good and bad, that permeated the story. I definitely recommend this trilogy to all YA fans, but be warned of that ending. All of the feelings.