The Girl on the Train: A Novel

The Girl on the Train: A Novel - Paula Hawkins As is always the case for me, when I saw all the hype surrounding this book, I knew immediately that I wanted to read it. The description sounded entertaining, and I had high hopes: and The Girl on the Train still managed to exceed my expectations in every way.

The unreliable narration that lies at the heart of this book is enthralling, and it pulled me in and kept me on my toes for the entire novel. Usually, I get frustrated if I don't know what's going on when I'm reading, but Hawkins manages to perfectly balance on the line between reader understanding and curiosity: I never knew the whole story, but I knew enough to keep me interested.

In the end, what I like most about this book is that the ending provides enough of a "twist" to be entertaining, while still providing enough hints for an astute reader to see what's coming, or at least the direction it will be coming from. It is not often that I say a book ends perfectly, but for me, The Girl on the Train did exactly that.

I could go on, but in the end the important takeaway from this review is simple. As far as mystery/thrillers go, this book is, without a doubt, one of the best I've found.

Rating: 5 Stars